Senior Programme Manager
Flexible - Oxford or Cambridge
Our success means there’s a lot going on, which is great. Keeping track of all our R&D group’s programmes is essential. With an increasing number of programmes – and an increase in complexity too – now’s the time to add a Senior Programme Manager to our team and ensure we have great oversight across our R&D group.
You’re already proven at successfully managing programmes in a commercial environment and ideally in a scientifically led one too. You’re used to dealing with multiple projects and managers, with project team sizes of c10 heads. It’s your ability to engage with these project teams and managers that has driven your success; just as much as it is your expertise in producing detailed analysis, forecasts and programme updates. And you’ve accomplished this in an environment of extremely gifted scientists/developers, and where things move quickly.
Working for Gill McVean - our Chief Scientific Officer – and as part of the R&D group you’ll be responsible for:-
- Developing and maintaining the records of programmes, deliverables and progress across the group;
- Supporting the CSO in the prioritization of projects, providing a data led overview of projects and resolving conflicting priorities, and ensuring actions and timescales are being communicated and agreed;
- Developing and managing tools to ensure the headcount deployment across the different project and programmes is understood, and integrating with our Finance and HR processes/systems;
- Working alongside our Finance team to manage the annual budget plan and re-forecasts, providing insight to the CSO and investigating and resolving issues;
- Producing a quarterly dashboard on the agreed key indicators and measures, presenting this to the management team with commentary on forecasts, highlighting risks and opportunities;
- Ensuring the effective communication and visibility of goals, achievements and challenges within the Group and across the wider company.
- Producing information, draft slides and documents for the CSO in readiness for Board meetings, partner presentations etc.
- Acting as the first point of contact and sounding board for managers/project leaders needing guidance or support in driving their projects forward.
To be successful you’ll need to be an expert in programme management encompassing all the core skills including budget management, project management, and analysis. You’ll need to be able to distill information into insightful updates, coupled with ideas and guidance on how they can be kept on track should they begin to drift. This will be underpinned by a personal style, where you can cajole, influence and guide – with equal affect and ease – and deliver results. Finally, you’ll be dealing with complex scientific projects – so an understanding of that would be great, especially when it comes to genomics. As such, a science-based degree would be advantageous, however, given the commercial nature of this role it’s unlikely to be suited to someone taking their first step from academia – sorry. If you don’t have a detailed understanding of genomics – don’t worry there are plenty of people here who’ll be willing to help you, as long as you have the interest and passion.
So, if you think you can help us and our teams manage and deliver programmes that will impact people’s lives and health, then we’re waiting to hear from you.