With so much going on, and so much opportunity ahead of us, keeping everyone from the public to the scientific community informed is essential. We want to do it really well too. That’s why we’re adding a Communications Director to our team. And given the importance we attach to this; it’ll report to our CEO.
You’re a highly experienced hands-on Communications Director but also one who has developed and delivered a comprehensive communications strategy, and this will have been achieved in a scientifically led company. Distilling the complex into engaging content across everything from social media and the press, and for audiences ranging from highly knowledgeable through to the general public is your passion. You’ve also built great relationships across the media landscape, getting their attention in ways others envy. And all of this is accompanied by your can-do attitude, and the project planning to make it all happen.
Right now this is standalone role – although that may grow in the longer term – you’ll report directly to Peter Donnelly (our CEO) your responsibilities will include:-
- Understanding our technology, pipeline, and business strategy sufficiently, and designing and implementing a cohesive and proactive public relations and media strategy to raise the visibility of our company, our science and products, and our leadership team.
- Owning the relationship with, and actively managing, the external PR and engagement agencies, aligning them to our business goals and keeing them informed so that they can act proactively.
- Cultivating strong relationships with key media outlets and develop relationships between us and key opinion shapers, journalists, publishers, and stakeholders.
- Serving as our corporate spokesperson and primary contact to handle and/or triage incoming inquiries from the media.
- Developing and owning the master editorial calendar of all communication activities, owners, and contributors.
- Teaming up with scientists to write blogs and identify opportunities for scientific communication.
- Identifying and managing key events related to our product strategy including product launch, key opinion shapers events etc.
- Owning the day-to-day content selection and publication of content on our website and across all major social media platforms with a cohesive voice and tone.
- Oversee the external communication professionals and advisors, establishing operational norms and best practice to enhance corporate and product communication
- Anticipate, draft, and then manage the review process for all news announcements and external communications, managing consistency of messages and disclosure.
- Managed marketing communications within a partnership.
- Be a sparring partner and advisor to the Chief of Staff and Chief People Officer on employer branding initiatives and internal communication activities.
To be successful you’ll have mastered of the all the major social media platforms as well as Wordpress. As science is at the heart of what we do, you’ll need the proven expertise to distil that and craft highly engaging and relatable copy/collateral. If you have experience within the genetics or genomics sector all the better but if not, there are plenty of people here to help you - if you share their passion. You’ll be a skilled relationship builder and manager – internally and externally – with the ability to shape and influence opinions, as well as acting as a company spokesperson. Finally, you’ll also need the detailed planning and project management to underpin your work, and if you’ve US experience all the better.
If you're degree educated and can bring the experience and skills we need then we’d be delighted to hear from you. As this is a role the needs a high level of persuasive and engaging writing, we’re very much looking forward to reading your cover letter!